Thursday, February 22, 2007

The Stories Remain Untold

For the last couple years, I've had a few good ideas that I thought would translate into great stories. Unfortuantely, due to my complete lack of motivation, I haven't really gotten around to actually writing them. Now that I'm in college, matters have only gotten worse for alot of my unrealised ideas. It isn't that I don't have enough free-time to write them.. it's just that I can get too easily side tracked.

There was one story that I actually got around to writing, mostly because I thought the plot and twists were fairly orginal and it would be something to creative to partake in. Unfortuantely, I only got about two chapters in before I stopped writing. The intro (in my opinion anyways) was fantastic.. I just didn't like how Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 came about. I guess that's why they call them drafts, but I just can't get myself to revise and reimagine things so they'll work on paper. It's always far more difficult to tailor something to your vision then you first expect.. especially when it would technically be the first novel you have ever written.

Don't ask me what I didn't like about Chapters 1 and 2, because I really can't put my finger on it. It just never seemed quite as inspiring or as exciting as it appeared in my head. When you actually have to draw it out and describe it, you realise that it isn't going to move along at the roller coaster like pace you first expected. And the dialouge and world seemed far too child-like, not exactly what I had in mind when I developed the plot outline. In order for the story to work, there has to be a certain amount of maturity to the story.. and that just wasn't showing through for me. Call me picky, but if I'm gonna write an entire book, I want it to read exactly how I imagined it or not at all.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha! Describing this is kind of weird, since I don't really talk about it very much (unless I'm talking to Christine.. you know who you are). But for a while there I figured that I would just write a couple of fan-fictions based off of my favorite anime cartoons to get some experience. Well, I started writing a fan-fiction for Fullmetal Alchemist.. got two chapters in and stopped writing. Ugggggghh! I am not easily motivated! It was gonna be a really good fan-fiction too!

Anyways, that is enough whining for today. I just felt like expressing one of my interests with you, my loyal readers (I know there aren't any of you... except for Christine). So until next time, MAY THE GEEK BE WITH YOU!

1 comment:

The Random One said...

Hey, I hope you continue writing. Really, it's fun to read and you have an interesting style. When I first read your stuff I thought, "Wow! I didn't know he had this in him..." Very cool.

It is easy to get sidetracked, but I hope you find some more inspiration :) Your Fullmetal Alchemist fanfic was coming along nicely. Eagerly awaiting the continuing story from "Inexplainable Intro", should there be one. :)