Thursday, February 08, 2007

The Donny and Marie Show!! aka "Crappy Show my Mother Used to Watch"

She's a little bit country, and he's a little bit rock n' roll. But there is one thing they both are, incredibly fake and boring. For those of you who don't know, The Donny and Marie Show is a staple of bad 70's television. Everything down to the hair styles to the tacky music simply wreeks of the 70's... but not in a good way! Let me explain further.



Wow! Donny and Marie action figures! So it wasn't an urban legend that they were a pop culture smash. That's reassuring to know after watching their show.

My mom has a bad habit of wanting me to watch the show's she grew up when she was a girl, so I was forced to sit through this retro piece of variety show waste. For one thing.. the show is just stupid! I feel really immature lowering to such adjectives, but it's true. The skits are anything but creative, making even SNL's worst seem like comedy gold. Now the musical numbers are actually pretty decent, but them come in such excess that you feel like you're at the opera instead of watching a variety show.


Wow! A Donny and Marie button! Now I can bring the tackyness with me wherever I go! Thanks marketing executives!

Everything about the show just seemed fake to me. Infact, the best metaphor I can think of is a man who has had one too many botox injections. He's trying to make himself look good.. but in the end he just looks really akward and kinda scary. Now that I think of it.. that metaphor wasn't half bad at all. Come on Donny! Don't you realise you look like a geek prancing around in your tight pants and puffy jacket (apparently, no one had any fashion taste in the 70's). Don't tell me kids at school didn't get made fun of back then for wearing stuff like that. It looks ridiculous!

Wow! Donny Osmond is dancing! And.... girls are swooning? Over what?!!

One interesting thing I did find out was that the show was produced by Sid and Marty Croft. For those of you who don't know, they were the minds behind such fabulous programming as "H.R. Puffinstuff" and "Sigmund and the Sea Monsters". In other words, these men have created nothing but garbage their entire lives. No wonder the show was so tacky! Thank you Sid and Marty, thank you for all the unintentional laughs. May the geek be with you!

4 comments:

The Random One said...

It was created by Sid and Marty?! XD!!!

H.R. Puffinstuff... Who's your friend when things get rough...

ahhh the things I never knew... Thanks for that laugh!

A Deranged Young Person said...

Don't forget about the magic flute! *sigh* Sid and Marty.. never got off the acid did you.

DriedPapercutsAndChickens said...

I owned the pictured donnie doll...
and we own a sigmund the sea monster dvd....
The magic flute was cool!
(ok I wasnt a puffinstuff fan....I was a land of the lost fan....)

A Deranged Young Person said...

Wow! That's cool! LOL, sorry if I seemed a little harsh on your memories.. I just find it a little cheesy and overly done. Although.. I guess that's part of the fun of it.